Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Portfolio

I promised #4, so here it is:

4. PORTFOLIO. Over the past couple of weeks I've been working on a portfolio to bring to NYC to the Surtex show to show greeting card publishers, textile designers and everyone else mentioned on the list in the last post. I have never been able to stick to one style, but I have been focusing on the style I like to call 'Whimsical Coffee'. This style is lighter than my whimsical acrylics on canvas and may or may not portray coffee. It always does involve coffee somehow, though.
Yes, I know I have a problem. But back to art.
When I have a little more time, and after I attend the first Art Licensing workshop on Saturday in the Big Apple, I'll lay out the order for my portfolio. For now, I'll leave you with a few important attributes of a successful portfolio:

   a. Great work. This may seem obvious, but your temptation will be to show everything you have in order to convince a client how much you can do. If you're like me, and have a couple of styles, you can do this, but each piece must be able to stand on its own and have a 'wow' factor.
   b. A great story. Design your portfolio like a three-act play. Smashing beginning, incredible middle and super climax. Put what you feel are your best pieces in these positions. Of course, as I said, it should all be smashing, but the reviewer will be flipping through it probably pretty quickly. You need to make an impression and end with a bang. Most important: get a second opinion. Don't try to self-edit. I've found that looking over someone's shoulder (without speaking!) as they thumb through my portfolio actually lets me see it as they do.
   c. Neatness counts. Need I say more? If a print or photo of your work is bent or smudged, get another one. Snapfish.com, or Rite Aid (believe it or not) print stunning photos, usually fast. Make sure your Photoshop file is clean. If you scanned your art, get rid of dust the scanner may have picked up. The client sees every page as a reflection of you and what kind of working relationship (s)he will have with you. Make it easy for them to want to hire you.

More to come!

No comments: